You would think that peer pressure would end in high school. Or in college at the latest. I didn't even succumb to much peer pressure when I was in school, except for the pressure inflicted upon nerds like myself by other nerds to compare SAT scores and above 4.0-average GPAs (no smoking behind the gym during class for us!).
So now peer pressure is coming from an unlikely source: work. And over an unlikely issue: holiday decorations. It's supposed to be "strictly voluntary," but I am feeling the pressure to be festive or else risk being thought of as a scrooge. I enjoy seeing Christmas lights and decorations, but not necessarily the act of decorating. There is an inter-building competition to see which group comes up with the best decorations theme, and the pressure is mounting. I can see that public opinion will turn on me, and perhaps the only other person who isn't exuberant about the whole competition, if we don't pony up and spend some cash on fake snowflakes and Christmas lights. Am I wrong to not be that into it? I guess it's to foster team-building and co-worker relationships, but I have deadlines. Can't I "just say 'No' "?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That sounds like it should be an episode of The Office! I can just picture your co-workers going off the rails 'cause you won't decorate. Hilarious! Don't give in!
Is Nancie the force behind the contest????
P.S. I love your blog title...and you're such a good writer!
Post a Comment