Tuesday, October 28, 2008
Still Undecided?
In the final week of the 2008 election season, politicians are stumping on the trail and granting interviews to media outlets aggressively courting the vote of the undecided voter. But, with only seven days to go before we decide who our president will be for the next four years, who are these undecided voters? I am not the most decisive person in the world, but I figured out a long time ago who I am voting for. I watched a lot of debates, read a lot of articles, listened to analysis from a variety of sources, thought through voting records, and came to a conclusion. I know that not everyone has either the time or inclination to dedicate to the political process, and I don’t claim to be a policy wonk, so there are subtleties to issues on which I don’t have a firm grasp, but I still have enough information to make a decision between the options. Some would say that there are no real differences between the major candidates, but I beg to differ! There are definite, crucial, and substantive differences, and unless your sole voting issue is a topic on which the candidates happen to actually agree, then I don’t understand what you’re trying to sort out. And even if you don’t like either major party candidate, it would seem that you have already decided to either not vote at all or to vote for/write in a third party option. I get that. What scares me is that there will be people on November 4th, whose vote counts just as much as mine, who are going to walk into the voting booth with no clue and will base their decision on … who knows? So, here is a question for anyone who reads my blog and is still undecided: I honestly want to know, what will help you decide at this stage of the game? And, do you think you could walk into the voting booth on November 4th and make a last-minute, possibly visceral decision?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment